by Noel Nichols, professional makeup artist
Ladies, let's be honest. How often have you looked in the mirror only to be surprised by the aging reflection staring back at you? While we may only be as young as we feel, looking fresh faced can do wonders for how youthful we feel.
With the freshness of spring right around the corner, I encourage you to take this opportunity to discover a more youthful looking you with these 5 makeup tips to look 10 (yes, 10!) years younger:
1. Skincare Update: Adding a great exfoliator to your skincare routine works wonders on dull, tired skin. And did you know that exfoliation will increase the efficiency of all your products? It will. Add a brightening serum and new eye cream, for an instant youthful glow. If you don't currently have any anti-aging products in your beauty regime, start by introducing one at a time to your routine.
RELATED 5 Wrinkle Erasers That Work
2. Blush up: I'm a junkie for blush; there's no other product that can instantly perk up a face! Swap your regular powder cheek color for a creamy one. Cream blush blends seamlessly into the skin, giving a dewy finish that’s both fresh and natural. Pick a cream blush that is closest to the color of your cheeks when naturally flushed. Some of my personal favorites include Stila Convertible Color, Kevyn Aucoin Creamy Moist Glow, and Josie Maran Argan Color Stick. If your skin on the oilier side, set your cream blush with a sheer translucent powder.
3. Ditch Frost!: Frosty shadows, lipsticks, and cheek colors are not only dated, but the pigments settle into fine lines and enhance the appearance of wrinkles. A little shimmer is always okay, but never go for a white or silvery shimmer. Opt instead for a more flattering shade like gold, champagne, or bronze.
4. Check Your Foundation: New technologies and formulas on the market allow for the perfect color match for your skin. Many women wear too heavy of coverage or the wrong color, aging them by years. In fact, women actually need less makeup the older they get. Now with BB's, CC's and tinted moisturizers, you can find a lighter texture that let's your skin shine through. Make sure to stay far away from any grey or pink undertones, and opt for a warmer color.
5. Put Down the Tweezers: Many women stick with a tried and true beauty routine from the era in which they felt like they looked their best. And ladies, nothing will date you more than time capsule eyebrows. Check out your brows...are they too thin? Is the shape dated? Are they balanced and symmetrical? A fuller brow is not only more youthful, but can completely transform your look. Brows won't grow? I recommend a brow/lash growing serum to fill in sparse areas along with a great pencil. I love Anastasia, Laura Mercier and MAC.
More from GalTime.com:
- 7 Ways to Winter Proof Your Skin
- 5 Winter Trends For Tips And Toes
- Anti-Aging Gracefully: Are You Neglecting These Areas?
- Popular Beauty Myths, Debunked!
Connect with GalTime on Facebook!