Every woman over the age of 30 has that dreaded makeup moment. You know which one I'm talking about...when you realize the makeup you wore in your 20s is no longer your friend! It happened to me in my mid-30s when I saw a photo of myself looking tired and washed out. Thankfully, I am a makeup artist, so I had the patience and time for trial and error. To save you minutes and money, here a few age defying makeup tricks that the pros swear by:
A moisturizing primer and eye cream can be the ultimate makeup dream team! Primer helps makeup last longer, keeps it from settling into fine lines, and contains light diffusers that even out skin tone. A hydrating eye cream or gel that also tackles puffiness will make the skin around the eyes look smoother before concealer is applied. (Try: L'Oreal Magic Lumi Light Infusing Primer, $12.95, Peter Thomas Roth Anti-Aging Cellular Eye Repair Gel, $42)
One of the most important rules is to pick the right foundation. Ideally, it should even out your complexion and give you a subtle "glow." Full coverage and matte formulas tend to look dull and can make fine lines appear more obvious. Instead, I recommend a sheer to medium coverage formula that has light reflectors in in it. Apply a thin layer of foundation with your fingertips, or a foundation brush. Follow it up by lightly tapping a moisturizing, liquid concealer under the eyes, around the nose, and on any other problem areas. (You can also use a small concealer brush. Whatever is easiest for you!) (Try: COVERGIRL & Olay ToneRehab 2-in-1 Foundation, $13.99, or Maybelline Dream Nude Airfoam Foundation, $10.99)
Cream blush gives a healthy flush and has built in "dewiness." Simply tap a few dots on the apples of your cheeks and blend up into your hairline. Not only will your skin look fresh...your blush won't streak or fade! Choose a natural looking rose tone. (I love the multi-tasking formulas that can double as lip color, too!) Set your blush with a small amount of talc-free, loose powder applied with a fluffy brush. Talc can make the skin look dull, whereas the newer formulas utilize silica and other minerals for a sheer veil of coverage. (Try: YSL Creme de Blush, $38)
To open up the eyes and reduce the appearance of fatigue, apply a satin-textured shadow in ivory or champagne all over the lid. Use a soft amount or taupe, brown, or plum to define the crease. Next, smudge a gray or navy pencil along the upper lash line, and add two coats of black lengthening mascara. On the lower water line, apply a nude eye pencil. Makeup artists love this trick...it instantly brightens up the entire eye! (Try: Paula Dorf Enhancer Baby Eyes, $20)
Related: The Secret to Stay-Put Eye Makeup
- Even your lip color can help take years off your face! The most flattering choices are natural-looking rose, soft plum or pinky beige tones that also have a bit of shine. To avoid a bleeding lip color disaster, apply some balm to your pout and slightly outside the lip line. Blot with a tissue and dust on some loose powder. Apply lip liner to the outer lip line, then fill in your lips completely. Using a lip brush, apply a creamy lipstick. Work from the center of your lips out to the corners, making sure the edges are neat. Finish off the look by applying a dab of shimmery gloss to the center of your pucker. Smile! (Try: L'Oreal Infallible Le Rouge, $9.99)
More from GalTime:
- Eyelash Dehydration: Yes it Can Happen!
- Beauty Gal Review: Cindy Crawford's Meaningful Beauty
- Favorite New Lipsticks, Glosses, and Stains
- How to Look More Awake (Even if You're Not!)
Andrea Ducharme began her career in the Makeup Industry after graduating from Salem State College in 1992. Over the past 17 years she has enjoyed representing Clinique, Estee Lauder, Trish McEvoy and MAC Cosmetics. As the store manager of Rouge Cosmetics she received many accolades, including being named one of Boston’s five top makeup artists by Fashion Boston Magazine, and the prestigious Best of Boston for Makeup Shopping by Boston Magazine. She has trained many makeup artists on how to utilize her techniques that produce flawless complexions, beautifully defined eyes and perfectly tinted lips.