If there is one item that can transform any woman’s look this holiday season, it is a great red lip color. Elegant, sophisticated and downright sexy, there are countless options with textures, intensities and shades.
As a general rule, I recommend you try the boldest shade you can handle and pair it with a soft bronze or gold eyeshadow. Then, add some classic black liner to the upper lash line. (Think vintage early 60’s, like Mad Men.) Warm up the complexion with a peach blush and a bit of bronzer. If a full coverage red lipstick is not comfortable for you, consider a sheer red lip-stain paired with clear gloss. This looks vibrant and festive and can feel more natural.
As far as shades go, I always opt for true, clear reds...not too yellow or too pinky. Some of my favorite shades of all time are:
MAC Russian Red
Revlon True Red
Stila Cherry Crush Lip and Cheek Stain
Nars Jungle Red
For a perfect red pout, follow these steps. It might take a few more minutes, but the payoff is no feathering and the color will wear for hours:
- Prep lips by exfoliating with a lip scrub or a soft toothbrush. Apply lip balm, then blot off excess.
- Blend a thin layer of foundation over entire mouth to act as an even base.
- Use a sharpened lip pencil (in a red that matches the lipstick) and define the shape of your lips. Pay attention to the Cupid’s bow. Fill in lightly with the pencil, then blend with a Q-tip.
- Apply a small amount of the lipstick, starting in the center of the mouth, and blend carefully. Blot with a tissue. Dust a small amount of loose powder over the entire mouth, then apply a second layer of lipstick.
- For a bit of shine, add a dot of clear lip gloss to the center of the lips.