It’s time to move “fashion forward.” Say goodbye to the trends of yesteryear (well, some of them at least!), and make room in your closet for this year’s crop of clothing and accessories. Here are 5 must-have styles to stock up on in 2013.
1. Ebony and Ivory: Black and white graphic combos will continue to live in perfect harmony, and will bigger than ever this spring. Invest in an eye-catching piece, like a checkered jacket, black and white striped pants, or houndstooth cardigan to mix in with your basic wardrobe staples. Luckily, this trend pairs perfectly with other black and white pieces you already have hanging in the closet, and will just elevate the look to a more stylish one! (Below: Topshop Black and White Print Bodycon Dress, $76; BCBG Blu Ikat-Print Jacket, $278)
2. Statement Sunglasses: Sunglasses always finish off a look! In 2013, we are going to be seeing every version of statement glasses in fun colors and interesting shapes. From crazy cat eye shapes to pretty pastels to way-out- there whimsy looks, the options are endless this spring. Jazz up your outfit with a fun and unexpected pair of sunnies! (Below: Miu Miu Culte Collection Geometric Sunglasses, $335)
3. Sheer Madness: In 2013, look for anything and everything that incorporates sheer cutouts or panels. Some of our favorite looks are sheer-striped coats, sheer-paneled dresses, and of course, a beautiful sheer-paneled blouse to pair over just about everything! Last year, we spotted sheer panels and cutouts in darker colors, but this year opt for lighter hues, like crisp white and pale pastels. (Below: BCBG Maxine Evening Gown, $448)
4. Stripe City: Stripes are going to be a major print in 2013, and were spotted on the catwalk of some of our most beloved designers. Black, navy, gray, and red stripes ruled the runway, but any color swill do! Think jailhouse glamour and go for a thicker stripe to really capture the graphics of this print. A great striped suit would be a fun, bold statement for work, and a striped cardigan can be an equally winning look for the weekend! (Below: Zara Striped Blazer, $129)
5. Ravishing Ruffles: Big, romantic ruffles will make a lasting impression this year. Everything from ruffled shoulders or collars to voluminous, ruffled skirts and dresses are going to be a big hit. This playful look is just as eye-catching as it is feminine. For less drama, pair a ruffled blouse under a jacket. To amp up the look, don ruffles in dress form for a special occasion. They may even inspire you to dance a little flamenco! (Below: Milly Ruffle Cascade Silk Blouse, $285; Animalia Printed Ruffle Skirt, $89.24)
More from GalTime.com:
- The Do's and Don'ts of Leggings
- 6 Common Fashion Myths...Debunked!
- 2 'You Won't Believe Your Eyes' Bra Makeovers
- 7 Ways to Stretch Your Fashion Bucks