With a constant turnover in what’s in and out, defining your personal style can seem like a constant evolution – and there is nothing wrong with that. We encourage every fashionista to dabble in the latest trends. But, it’s important not to lose yourself completely while trying to keep up with the next big thing.
Expressing your personal style is essentially made up of two parts. The first is evolving and exploring while the second is tailoring trends to work with what you already like.
Three tips for evolving (not defining) your look:
1. Always try new things. Even if, when colored jeans came back in style, you winced and vowed never. Give it just a second look. Every trend improves when it comes around again and this could be the perfect time for you.
There are also ways to subtly wear trends. Wearing colored denim doesn't mean you have to rock a pair of neon pink jeans. You can start off with a different shade of blue that doesn't stray too far from your normal wash but just enough to show the difference.
2. Stuck in a rut? Recognize the signs and act boldly. Five black tees and six pairs of dark wash jeans? It's time to make a move. Donate a bunch and get some advice on adding new styles to your closet.
Have a style icon that you look up to? Try channeling them while shopping. An easy online search will show you how to get their style on your own budget.
3. Be uniquely you. Your personality and body are unique. So, why would you want your style to be a carbon copy? Feel like wearing red lipstick, a white tee, and jeans one day and a flirty feminine dress with relaxed, Boho wavy hair the next? OK! Let's do that.
After exploring all of these options, you can start to build your signature style. It doesn't have to be one specific style and you can start small.
Tips for building your signature look:
1. Figure out what silhouettes look good on your body type and experiment with patterns and colors. The streets of SF are teeming with colorful combos. We always love the looks of SF blog Atlantic-Pacific and this look is definitely a favorite. Classic appeal with a sassy mix of patterns.
2. Wear unique accessories that have a story behind them or mean something to you. Friendship bracelets and family heirlooms are great examples of this. They often don't leave your body so while your style in clothes may change often, your accessories help you stay true to that aspect of your style. There's a special place in our hear for Jennifer Tuton's initial necklaces, wear them layered with the initials of your kids and feel free to add longer and shorter novelty necklaces on top to create your look.
3. It is possible to go from classic and casual one day to boho chic the next without seeming like a completely different person. There must be a constant. Maybe you'll wear the same lipstick with these different looks or stay within the same color palette.
A signature look lets you be uniquely you, while still rocking the latest fashions. At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is how you feel. Confidence is the best look. So, be you. Every single day. So, where will you be showing of your signature style this week?
Do you have a signature look or piece?