I can hardly believe it's already the end of October, but I am savoring the changing leaves, cooler weather, and the growing (and gleeful) anticipation of Halloween. Pumpkin whoopie pies are a family favorite in my house from now through Thanksgiving.
As you gobble these up, pat yourself on the back, as they are loaded with superfoods (pumpkin, whole grains, eggs or flax...alas, the cream cheese filling does not qualify). Enjoy!
Traditional or Vegan
3 cups white whole wheat flour (or 1-1/2 cups a-p flour + 1-1/2 cups regular whole wheat flour)
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 15-oz can solid pack pumpkin puree
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 8-oz packages 1/3-less fat cream cheese, softened
1 cup confectioners sugar
1 tbsp maple syrup or honey
Optional: 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly spray 2 cookie sheets with cooking spray, or line with parchment.
2. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. In a medium bowl, whisk the brown sugar, oil, pumpkin, eggs, and vanilla until blended. Add the pumpkin mixture to the flour mixture, stirring until just blended and smooth.
3. Drop dough by heaping teaspoons ( a small cookie scoop works perfectly) onto the prepared cookie sheets. Bake 10 to 12 minutes until just set. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
4. Filling: In a medium bowl, blend the cream cheese, confectioner's sugar, maple syrup (and optional cinnamon) with an electric mixer on medium speed until blended and smooth.
5. Let cookies cool, then make sandwiches from two cookies filled with the filling.
Vegan Whole Wheat Pumpkin Whoopies
Prepare as directed, but
(1) Use flax eggs (see below) in place of the 2 eggs
(2) Use 2 8-oz tubs non-dairy cream cheese (such as Tofutti better than cream cheese) in place of the cream cheese
(3) Use maple syrup or agave nectar in the filling.
Flax Eggs: In blender, process 3 tbsp ground flax seeds (flaxseed meal) and 1/2 cup water for 1 minute or until thickened and frothy.