Many of us women probably don’t know what falls on the third Sunday of September every year, but we should. That third Sunday in September is National Women’s Friendship Day. This isn’t just a day to celebrate friends, it’s to celebrate your girlfriends. And if you’re like me your close girlfriends probably hold a very exclusive place in your heart that won’t ever be replaced.
The purpose of this holiday is to promote special friendship among women and to celebrate those friends you hold dear to your heart, in addition to celebrating your own womanhood. This holiday was started by women, for women, only 11 years ago.
In 1999 Kappa Delta Sorority created this holiday. Kappa Delta sorority was founded in 1897 in Farmville, Virginia and now holds over 180,000 members across the United States. The day they created proved popular because later, the month of September became International Friendship Month.
Every year more and more women are hearing about the holiday and celebrating this special day with their friends. Thirty-four states have had governors' proclamations endorsing women's friendship since then.
Now that you know about this special day in September, and that the whole month of September celebrates friendship, you can take time this month to enhance and appreciate your friendships with the women closest to you.
There are so many things you can do to show a close girlfriend you care, big or little, near or far. So take time to love your friends on September 18th - National Women’s Friendship Day!
- Visit your friends! If they are far away you can send them a card, package, or old photographs of fun times together.
- Hold a brunch, lunch or dinner for you and your closest friends, or go out to dinner for an evening. If you go out than you have no worries about cooking, dishes or clean up. If it’s at your house you may feel more cozy and can decorate and cook whatever you want.
- Go for spa day with your best friends. Relax and celebrate each others company.
- Plan a weekend away. You can go to a beach, lake or cabin for a weekend and have a slumber party with your girlfriends.
- Visit another woman who needs company. Maybe this is your mom, or a complete stranger at a retirement home.
- Train for a marathon and raise money for a women’s charity with your friends.