by Nesha Christian-Hendrickson
Some of you may have heard of the pristine waters and the tranquil breezes that surround the island paradise that is St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands. However, figuring out what to wear there can leave you scratching your head. St. Croix is a small island with around only 50,000 inhabitants. But this small island encompasses a vibrant mix of cultures, from Palestinian to Puerto Rican. Its rich cultural history with seven flags (England, Spain, France, Knights of Malta, Holland, Denmark and United States of America) has produced a fashion scene just as varied. Resort wear, island casual, urban wear and black tie are all types of fashion that one will see this holiday season. Don’t assume that “island” means flip-flops and cut-offs for every occasion. To play it safe, pack bright colors, warm and inviting neutrals, comfortable and beautiful sandals, and you will never go wrong.
1. Great cocktail dress. St. Croix on New Year’s eve is like many other places in that most women wear sequins. Long black dresses dominate. The extra plus here is that no coat or jacket is required.
2. Cute Heeled Sandals. Cute & trendy, these sandals can take you from day to night. And the best part…they are actually comfortable. There is so much to discover from Sugar Mills to Underwater natural parks (the must see Buck Island) you don’t want to be sidelined because of aching feet.
3. Maxi Dress or Skirt. The maxi is the “must have” dress on St. Croix. It can be dressed up for dinner or dressed down for a casual stroll on the beach. Wear it with a light cardigan for night.
4. Comfortable Walking Shoes that Don’t Scream TOURIST! Pick out a pair that will let you walk for hours without looking drab – or in pain.
5. Bermuda Shorts. Don’t be put off by the name. These aren’t your dad’s Bermuda shorts. A quality pair of Bermuda shorts are both fashionable and perfect for trekking around the islands. Not too short not too warm and can be dressed up with heels or dressed down with sandals.
French Connection cotton shorts, $34.99
An Attorney by training but a Fashionista by passion and born and raised on the beautiful island of St. Croix in the U. S. Virgin Islands, Nesha has the inside scoop on what to wear in the beautiful Virgin Islands. It doesn’t hurt that she comes from a diverse family that loves to travel. Having lived in Pennsylvania; Washington, DC; and Vermont and visited many other countries including China, South Africa, Brazil and Italy, Nesha has a deep respect for other cultures and a knack for incorporating global fashion inspiration into her wardrobe.