Spring is almost here, and while Mother Nature takes care of the outdoors, it's time to bump up the freshness in our home decorating! It's easy to add a fresh feeling of renewal to our homes with these inexpensive tips and projects.
Color It Spring!
Using color is the most effective way to change the feel of a room, but it doesn’t mean you have to go in for a full room paint job. Try these tips:
- Introduce a fresh new color into your accessories. Spring green, tangerine, coral or french blue are colors that express the season of spring.
- Paint one focal piece of furniture in the room, instead of the walls.
- Add a small cup or vase of garden flowers to every room. Flowers add life and color to any space (and they smell great, too)!
- Frame scrapbooking papers in bright, happy colors, and arrange them in like-minded color groups.
Bloom Where You are Planted
- Install a shelf across the kitchen window. Add plants, herbs, and cut flowers to brighten your day!
- Use recycled colored glass bottles as bud vases.
- Fill clear glass bottles with food coloring and water, and watch white flowers change!
- Frame photos from garden catalogs and calendars.
Cut Back the Clutter
We all have it, that winter time clutter that collects each year - magazines and books, boots by the door, a few too many throws on the sofa. Roll up the area rugs, pack away any leftover holiday knick knacks, and put all those books and movies back where they belong. Take the time to remove all unnecessary items from each room. It will be like a breath of fresh air, and it's free to do!
Let There Be Light
That is, let the light in! Now that the sun is shining more, make your home feel larger and happier by clearing the windows. Take down any extra window treatments and leave simple blinds. Make sure any remaining curtains in the home can be pulled back clear of the windows during the day to let in the optimal amount of light. And yes, it's time to spring clean those windows! Dirty windows can block up to 20 percent of the light coming into a room. Don't we deserve to feel 20 percent happier?
Wall Off Winter
Create a spring feel with an easy triptych wall art project. Pick up three unpainted canvases in your chosen size at the craft store. Now choose a spring hue and buy three different shades of paint of that one hue. Paint each piece a different shade. Or you can cover each canvas with a different fabric in the same color family and staple fabric to the back of the frame. Hang in a grouping above a sofa or fireplace. Easy, effective and stylish!
No matter how tight your budget, it's easy to bring spring into your home with these quick and low cost tips. Enjoy the feeling of renewal and share it with those you love!
More from GalTime.com:
- New Year, New Room: The Kitchen
- Why Homes in Magazines Are a Joke
- How to Get Your Deck Ready for Summer
- Create a Personal Haven Inside Your Own Home
Connect with GalTime on Facebook!
Want to love your home, and keep your cash? Get more budget home decorating ideas from Kathy at www.TheBudgetDecorator.com.