Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively have bought a home together. It sounds like fun, doesn't it? They met on the set of "The Green Lantern" and have been moving forward as a couple ever since. It's easy to get swept up in the romance of it all, especially the idea of playing house. But they -- and anyone at their stage of the dating game -- must have asked themselves: How long do you date, and how long do you wait, before you decide to become mates... as in roommates?
Taking that step sometimes feels seamless because you are spending so much time together anyway. Maybe he's cleared out a drawer for you already, or maybe he goes home only once a week these days to water his plants and gather his mail. How different could living together possibly be? The answer is... very.
There are a few points you should be aware of before becoming domestic partners, because that very term implies that you will share not just the love, but also the housework, the bills, the pet care, the lawn work, the actual square footage and whatever else goes along with cohabitating.
Related: Living in Reality or Living in Sin?
Things to Consider BEFORE Becoming Roommates
1. Talk before you start packing those boxes. Make sure you both understand what moving in together will entail -- it's more than just candlelit dinners and breakfasts in bed.
2. Understand that "making it official" means changes. Taking the step of moving in toegther brings along an accountability factor that wasn't there before, as your expectations of each other will change.
3. Discuss how you plan to share the responsibilities. When it comes to financial or practical responsibilities, it's important to have a plan about how you are going to proceed.
Hopefully Ryan and Blake have already worked some of these details out: Their new home in Bedford, N.Y., awaits.
What do you think? When is it time to move in together? Share your thoughts in the comments!
More from GalTime:
- Pros and Cons: Bonding with Your Guy's Friends
- 4 Things Men Worry About
- 5 Sexy Props... From Your Fridge!
- 7 Things NOT to do in a Relationship
Relationship expert Dr. Jane Greer is creator of “Shrink Wrap” – national commentary on what we can learn from celebrity relationships – and host of “Let’s Talk Sex” at Healthylife.net. Her book, “What About Me? Stop Selfishness From Ruining Your Relationship,” is available nationwide.