Comedian Dave Chappelle once summed up the male-female dynamic perfectly with one line: "Men like nice cars because women like men with nice cars."
Absolutely, positively true. Virtually everything a guy does is somehow directly or indirectly meant to appeal to women. If one day it was proven that women were most attracted to men with one arm, I’d expect there to be a shocking rise in emergency room visits by guys who’ve “accidently” lost the ability to play patty-cake.
Guys are constantly trying to impress women. One of the subtle ways we attempt to influence women’s opinions of us is though pop culture habits like movie choices, particularly during the initial courtship stage. It’s not necessarily a red flag if a guy says that he loves “The Notebook,” but that confession should make you turn your head and think, “Hmmm…this guy might just be trying to get in my pants.” Here are some of the film titles that should make you say “Hmmm..” if a guy pronounces his cinematic love for them.
5 Movies Guys Say They Love... Just to Hook Up
1. “The Notebook” – This is the ultimate chick flick. Most guys can’t sit through it without tossing their cookies. Sure Rachel McAdams is gorgeous and Ryan Gosling is the current Hollywood “it” guy, but the soapy, Lifetime original movie feel and the uber-cheeserific dialogue normally act as a repellent to guys. If he tells you he loves it, he’s likely trying to show you how sensitive he is… while trying to take off your top.
2. “Pretty Woman” – A film that has probably been the single greatest set back to male/female relationships. The fairytale of essentially having some rich dude sweep in and take care of some woman financially-- AND have the added bonus of being as good-looking and sensitive as Richard Gere--- is setting the bar ridiculously high for generations of men to follow. The truth? A guy that rich and pretty won’t need to be trolling the streets for call girls and falling in love. And if you don’t look like Julia Roberts you can forget about him looking your way. But women love it, so….
3. “The English Patient” – Beware of any guy who suggests a romantic night-in watching this one. You don’t realize it, but the only reason he chooses a film like this is because A) You love it and B) It''s SO long that by the time it’s over, you’re too damn tired to go home. The evening (in his mind) will go: home-cooked dinner, glass of wine, The English Patient, another glass of wine, an offer to let you sleep in his room while he sleeps on the couch…. waking up in bed naked with you 8 hours later.
4. “Titanic” – This is the rare film where intentions can be read both ways. This is the second biggest film of all time for a reason. LOTS of guys (including me) love the film. HOWEVER, many, many men avoid it at all costs. That’s what makes this so tricky. Sure the guy could be into this marathon of a motion picture… on the other hand… see above.
5. ANY MOVIE STARRING MEG RYAN – Doesn’t matter which one. The original queen of the rom-com is an absolute no-no for men. Like, PERIOD. If a guy is hanging out with his buddies and he starts a statement with, “So last night I was watching Sleepless In Seattle…” it had better be concluded by, “…with Angelina Jolie.” You catch my meaning? This is a red flag for women on two fronts. One: he’s either obviously trying to get in your pants OR he’s still in the closet. Just sayin’…
Oh the list does go on... and I’m sure the guys reading have their own suggestions. Feel free to add more.
Tell us what movie your man pretends to like!
More from GalTime.com:
- 5 Things Women Wish Men Knew
- 7 Behaviors That Are Keeping You Single
- 5 Signs He Might Be Gay
- 3 Biggest Mistakes Women Make in Bed
Connect with GalTime on Facebook!