Shopping is all about timing. That amazing pair of shoes you’ve been dreaming about? In 24 hours, they could be part of a too-good-to-be-true sale.
When it comes to deals on wardrobe essentials, I’m all about hitting the Internet. Not only are my favorite stores open 24 hours, I can compare prices quickly, then scoop up my favorites faster than you can say “Sample Sale.” Well, ladies, I just learned something that knocked my virtual socks off! Some days are better than others to save your dollars online! ShopItToMe.com, a site that scours sales at more than 100 online stores, ran a survey revealing the best times to shop for some our favorite things: sunglasses, bathing suits, apparel, you name it! Read on…and your fingers will be on the pulse of the hottest deals. (Literally!)
- Mondays: Need a proper topper? Jackets and outwear are an average of 42% off. You can also find a new purse or handbag for an average of 40% off.
- Tuesdays: Go surfing for deals on swimsuits. The average discount is 46%.
- Wednesdays: Step into savings on footwear. The average discount is 43%.
- Thursdays: Need some new office wear? Women’s dress shirts are an average of 55% off.
- Fridays: Casual Friday takes on a whole new meaning! Basic T’s and tanks are an average of 42% off.
- Saturdays: Saturdays are all about the guys! Men’s apparel and accessories are an average of 40% off. It’s also a great time to stock up on stuff for the little guy in your life. Discounts average 37% on boys’ apparel.
- Sundays: Dress up in a brand new dress, at an average of 43% off. Dress pants also see their lowest prices on Sunday, at 55%. Don’t walk away from the computer just yet. Shop for girls’ apparel at an average of 37% off.
Playing the “day of the week” game is one way to watch your pennies. Here are some more ways to bag big savings:
MEMBERS ONLY SHOPPING:
Get your hands on designer duds…at a price that’ll have you calling the fashion police! Members only shopping web sites are popping up across the net. Here’s how it works. Members get an e-mail announcing the opening of a “designer boutique.” Pieces are up for grabs for only one (or a few days) at a time…or until they’re sold out. Think of it as a flash sale. And you can snag a steal for 70% off or more! For some, you must be invited or sponsored to join. Other sites are open to everyone. Invite friends to score even steeper savings. We recently applied a $15 credit on HauteLook.com and ended up shelling out just $12…for a $60 shirt! Check out some of the sites below:
Invite Only Sites:
Open To Everyone:
Totsy (This one is for kids’ gear!)
Celebs aren’t the only ones who can borrow pricey designs! On Rent The Runway, you can literally rent a dress from A-list designers like Diane Von Furstenberg, Proenza Schouler and Halston Heritage (a la SJP). Rummage through the virtual racks, pick your favorite style, and voila…it’s shipped directly to your doorstep. RTR will even send two sizes at a time…just to be safe! Prices range from $50 to $200 per 4-night rental. When it’s time to accessorize, head to Avelle to rent designer handbags and jewelry. Labels like Michael Kors, Tory Burch and Kenneth Jay Lane are calling your name! Pay by week, or pay by month. (We found a totally trendy Tory Burch bag for just $22 a week.) Both Rent The Runway and Avelle require an invite, so log on now to request access!
Never underestimate the power of a promo code! Sites like RetailMeNot, GrechensCloset and Bargainist collect them. We recently used RetailMeNot and sliced an extra 30% off the sale price for a killer cardi.
FOLLOW THE SAVINGS