by Jeanette Pavini, Consumer Savings Expert from Coupons.com
Great news, super savers! Frugality is the new black.
Saving money isn't just for families and regular folks anymore; increasing numbers of celebrities are looking to save a dime in these challenging economic times. No matter where your income falls, it's always a thrill to score a great deal and stretch the almighty dollar.
Coupons.com recently came up with its list of "Frugalebrities" for 2012. And friends, the list is quite surprising. From pop stars, to TV personalities and athletes – the list proves that adopting savvy money-saving strategies and living thrifty are in vogue. So, without further ado, we present the 2012 Coupons.com Frugalebrities list!
- Kristen Bell –Nothing gets her quite as excited as saving on shopping for the home. Bell openly admitted to stealing her favorite Bed Bath & Beyond coupons right out of her neighbor’s mailbox. “I use a lot of coupons; I almost exclusively shop with coupons. The best coupon you can get, possibly in the world, is the Bed Bath & Beyond coupon.” [Image credit: S_Bukley/Shutterstock]
- Lady Gaga – One of the queens of pop is still a bargain-hunting New York shopper at heart. In a recent tweet, Gaga explained her love for a good deal. "Why do people look at me like I'm crazy when I use coupons at grocery [stores] or try bargaining at retail, I’M FROM NEW YORK. WHERE IS THE SALE RACK?” [Image credit: S_Bukley/Shutterstock]
- Jay Leno – Mr. car collector himself still has not touched a dime of his earnings from The Tonight Show. Opting instead to live off his comedian income, Leno credits his frugality in part to his parents, who grew up during the Depression. [Image credit: Featureflash/Shutterstock]
- Ashley Greene – This Twilight star recently said in an interview with Marie Claire, "I'm lucky because my dad taught me to be frugal and save. And that's important because I want to know that I don't have to take an acting job for two or three years if I don't want to, and that I'll still be able to make my house and car payments and buy food for my dogs.” [Image credit: S_Bukley/Shutterstock]
- Carrie Underwood – This country crooner still keeps a level head when it comes to shopping. In a recent interview with Rachael Ray, Carrie noted she often forgets to take her coupons to the grocery store (psst…Carrie, check out the Grocery iQ mobile app!). [Image credit: S_Bukley/Shutterstock]
- Mariska Hargitay –Hargitay candidly stated, “I constantly worry about money. I make a lot now but I don't feel that way because I was poor and had no money for a lot longer than I've had it…I'm saving money to live on, for the future.”
- Carmelo Anthony – NBA star Anthony knows a thing or two when it comes to couponing. In an interview with a Denver news station, Anthony said, “I go to the supermarket, make sure I get the...coupons out; save a dollar or two.”
- Tyra Banks – This famous model has said, “I am frugal. I’ve always been this way. When I was young, my mom would give me my allowance, and I’d peel off a little each week and have some to spare.” What she really loves? Deals. According to her friend and co-creator of America's Next Top Model, Kenya Barris said, "The thing she is impressed with is getting a deal on something. She gets a kick out of being frugal.” [Image credit: Featureflash/Shutterstock]
- Mitt and Ann Romney – During an interview with Jay Leno, Ann revealed that she and her husband love buying in bulk and that her husband is “cheap.” According to Ann, “When we leave the house, he turns off the hot water heater.” Mitt also often neglects to turn it back on, admitting that “cold showers — they're not so bad.”
- Eva Longoria – This Desperate Housewives alum might be anything but desperate for cash, but that doesn’t stop her from living modestly. Growing up, her father took her and her siblings out into the wilderness to experience living off the land. It taught her not to take her fortunes for granted; a lesson she still lives by and teaches others today.
More from GalTime.com:
- Celeb Wardrobe on a Regular Gal's Budget
- Save Money Without Leaving Your Laptop
- 5 Red Flags In His Credit Report
- Couponing 101: Make the Most of Your Offers and Deals
Connect with GalTime on Facebook!
Two time Emmy Award-winner and consumer savings expert, Jeanette Pavini has been providing consumers with money-saving tips they can use for more than a decade. Teaming with Coupons.com, Jeanette puts her expert feedback to use immediately with real world tips and advice. Jeanette's consumer savings tips have been featured in Oprah, NY Daily News, USA Today and more.