PATRIOTIC PIE RECIPE
The Pie Ladies of Centerville Pie Co.
- (2) 9 inch pie crusts
- 4 tablespoons quick-cooking or instant tapioca
- 2 cups of blueberries
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 4 cups pitted cherries or can of premade Cherry Pie Filling*
- 1-5 oz can evaporated milk (will not use it all)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
*If using canned pie filling, there is no need for the salt, sugar and lemon juice.
- Mix cherries, 1 cup-sugar, tapioca, salt and lemon juice in a bow.
- Take one of your 9-inch pie shells and pour your cherry mixture into three quarters of the shell, reserving the other quarter for blueberries.
- Add the blueberries as the "stars".
- Take your other pie shell and cut into strips making a lattice top.
- Arrange lattice across the top of the pie. Cut the strips to leave an opening for the blueberries to be exposed.
- Brush the top of your pie with evaporated milk.
- Bake at 350 on the bottom shelf on a parchment lined cookie sheet for 1 hour or until golden brown.