Can a Multitasking Momma Ever Really Relax? | Parenting
I look forward to our family beach vacation every year. It is great to get away for a week and hang out at the beach. But when you are wearing so many hats, is it really possible to relax? I think I am the only person I know who is excited about the long car ride. Armed with my ipad and cell phones (that’s right, I actually have more than one) I was ready to roll. The kids were buckled in and my husband was at the wheel. I set up my mini office in the passenger seat and began typing away. At one point my tween made a request (quite frankly I can’t remember now what she wanted). I told her I couldn’t because I was busy. My husband looked at me and answered with firm disbelief in his voice, “Well excuse me but I am driving.” It was in that moment that I realized something was really wrong with the way I was approaching this vacation thing! I know for a fact that if a friend posed the same scenario, I would have told her to give it all a rest and try taking a real vacation!
Easier said than done aye? The very idea of trying to take a genuine break made me feel stressed. How could I just stop? But, I decided it was something I had to try. Call it my own personal social experiment. I was going to throw myself into my vacation and relax damn it!
Here are a few lessons I learned:
- Vacations can be really relaxing!
- I am a much calmer and happier person when I let myself fully enjoy my family’s company and remain truly mindful.
- People who know me get a little confused, worried and even freaked out when I shut the rest of the world out. Not their fault of course, they just are not used to me really taking a vacation in the true spirit of the word.
- I don’t need two cell phones.
- Life is more enjoyable without the ability to recharge electronics.
- When I got back from my vacation for once I felt really relaxed and rested. I did not feel as if I needed to take a vacation from my vacation.
- The sky does not fall down when I take a few days off.
- I am beginning to wonder if I need one cell phone…nah, just kidding, that would be unfathomable!
- I enjoy talking with real people in front of me, as opposed to social networking in abbreviated words and sentences. LOL!
10.) Relaxation results in feeling rejuvenated. Feeling rejuvenated results in higher productivity and less stress once you return to work.
11.) I really love my family.
12.) It’s a wonderful life!